Friday, June 30, 2006

he was a good friend

From: Betty and Martin Taylor
To:
'Colleen Taylor'
Sent: Friday, June 23, 2006 2:56 PM
Subject: FW: Elmer

Colleen, This email is to Bob & Lorrie from Dave H. (no uncle to us). ... The anecdotes that people include is so touching. It’s nice to share them.

Thanks so much!
Love Mom



From: Bob Bowes
Sent: Sunday, June 04, 2006 4:13 PM
Fw: Elmer

----- Original Message -----
From: UncleDave
To: Robert E. Bowes
Sent: Thursday, June 01, 2006 2:21 PM
Subject: Elmer

Dear Bob and Laurie,

You’d have been proud of your daughter today. She delivered your “Reflections From A Son” very well, and in your absence it was a very moving tribute to your dad. When I closed my eyes, I could hear your voice and I could visualize you with your dad. It made me think of my times with my own father, who, at 82, is getting closer to the end. I think now, after listening to your words, that there are a few things I need to tell him.

I know you would have liked to have been here to celebrate his life with the rest of your family, but I know also the impossibility of that. It was great that you could get back for his 90th to help him celebrate. I am attaching a picture of your Mom and Dad that I took at the Gospel show at the Grand Ole Opry in April. The two were intent on the activity on the stage, which, at that moment, was Linda and Betty singing.

A few years ago when we were golfing, I said to your dad, “Elmer, I don’t know how much time we’ve got, but I wanted you to know that ever since I met you I’ve considered you a friend.” He said nothing. He just stuck out his hand and we shook.

Bob, I feel truly lucky to have had a friend in your dad. We golfed at least one round each year, and we kibitzed and bugged each other about the “upcoming match”. He was a true gentleman who was a lot of fun to be around. He supplied me with lots of stories, some of which I could tweak and use in the newspaper, and he gave me photos that I used in the “Pictures From the past” section of the paper.

But most of all, he was a good friend.

You were blessed, to have had him as a father. I know you’ll treasure his memory.

[Dave H.]

No comments: